PanoGrama Entertainment: Press Release
History was made on April 24, 2020, when the Inaugural PanoGrama became the first-ever online steelpan competition. Now, two years later, the stage is set for the competition’s third edition, which will see a total of nine countries represented. Antigua & Barbuda, Belize, Canada, France, Grenada, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, Trinidad & Tobago and the USA, will all feature through twenty-four talented steelpannists. Deja Cain of Trinidad & Tobago will be the first to perform.
As a prelude to the competition, each participant had the opportunity to participate in a series of development workshops, organized by PanoGrama Entertainment (PE). They were able to engage Professor Liam Teague to receive career guidance and advice on a wide range of topics, while Natasha Joseph delivered a detailed musical session that covered various tools and techniques used in arranging music. The workshops took place between March 19 – April 2, 2022, culminating with personal and professional development delivered by Dr. Steffon Campbell.
Dr. Mia Gormandy-Benjamin will make her debut in the competition as an adjudicator this year, and teams up with Professor Teague and Adjunct Professor Victor Provost to form the main judging panel. Ojay Richards and Andy Chichester are ready to fill in as substitutes.
“I have witnessed the competition in the past, and know that PanoGrama attracts a high quality of pannists from various countries around the world. Ultimately, I expect well prepared performances from well-trained musicians,” Dr. Gormandy-Benjamin shared.
Founder and CEO of PE, Nevin Roach, was happy to share that this year’s winner will be travelling to the Bahamas.
“The Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture – Bahamas is keen on having us conduct some workshops to help develop the artform over there, and so, the winner will travel in that capacity”, Roach said. He also added that this year’s winner will also receive a brand-new tenor pan from Perfect Steel, $1,000 USD cash and a private session with a world-renowned steelpannist.”
“While PanoGrama grows from strength to strength, and for that I could not be prouder of my team’s accomplishments, I am most pleased that we are able to help pannists through the development workshops we host, and provide quality training to our student interns throughout the competition. I look forward to all pan enthusiasts tuning in to enjoy all the amazing talent.”
PanoGrama 2022 will be streamed on YouTube and persons interested in watching the shows can join PanoGrama’s mailing list via www.pano-grama.com to receive show links via email. Prelim: May 6-8, Semifinals: May 29 and Finals: June 12. Each pannist will perform their own arrangement of any tune of choice, and be judged on a criteria that includes variations, execution and performance.
The order of appearance and song selections for the prelims are included below:
Night 1 – May 6, 2022 (8pm AST)
1. Déja Cain: September - Earth, Wind & Fire (Trinidad & Tobago)
2. Alexander Evans: Love Nwantiti - Ckay (Belize)
3. Tevin Shockness: This Melody Sweet - Baron (Trinidad & Tobago)
4. Thadel Wilson: Big People Party - Farmer Nappy (Canada)
5. Jamel Cadette: Out and Bad - Voice (Trinidad & Tobago)
6. Al Alexander: Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (Tonny Succar ver.) (St. Lucia)
7. Christopher Neale: Caribbean Jazz Project - Three Amigos (Trinidad & Tobago)
8. David Yundi: Pan in A Minor – Lord Kitchener (USA)
Night 2 – May 7, 2022 (8pm AST)
1. Emmanuel Joseph: When Somebody Loves You Back - Teddy Pendergrass (Trinidad & Tobago)
2. Mikiel Smith: Ribbon in the Sky - Stevie Wonder (Grenada)
3. Marcus Prince: Ain't Nobody - Chaka Khan (Trinidad & Tobago)
4. Gabriel Chartrand: Love in Portofino - Andrea Bocelli (Canada)
5. Jaron Woodsley: Leave (Kité Sa) - Teddyson John (Trinidad & Tobago)
6. Maurisha Potter: Say Say - Baron (Antigua & Barbuda)
7. Aquila Pereira: Peace of Mind - Voice (Trinidad & Tobago)
8. Mathieu Borgne: Happy - Pharrell Williams (France)
Night 3 – May 8, 2022 (8pm AST)
1. Simeon Superville: I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston (Trinidad & Tobago)
2. Hanif Goodridge: Buss Head - Machel Montano & Bunji Garlin (Trinidad & Tobago)
3. Olivier Wiren: Armando's Rhumba - Chick Corea (France)
4. Devon Atherley: Magic Drum - Machel Montano (Trinidad & Tobago)
5. Aaron Mentos: Boo'd Up - Ella Mai (St. Kitts & Nevis)
6. Sachelle Thomas: Passion - Militant (Trinidad & Tobago)
7. Malik Smith: Best Part - H.E.R. ft. Daniel Caesar (Antigua & Barbuda)
8. Shaquille Forbes: Hips Don't Lie - Shakira (Trinidad & Tobago)